Then & Now: North West Nepean

Baseline Road & Navaho Drive

“Can you conjure up a phantasm of a 1960’s Baseline Road where the entire south side from Clyde to Woodroffe was one farm owned by Harry Leiken?” Mike Epp

Harry Leiken immigrated to Ottawa from Russia in 1925. In 1940 after travelling the countryside and buying livestock he bought the Bert Honeywell farm at Baseline Road and Woodroffe Avenue. Over the years Harry Leiken move into the dairy business quickly becoming the township’s largest milk producer. Harry Leiken would eventually sell parts of his farm as sites for Algonquin College.

Ben Franklin Place, 101 Centrepointe Drive

The Nepean Bell was first used in 1896 at the Old Town Hall on Richmond Road in Westboro. It was used to sound curfew and to call volunteer firefighters. The bell was moved to Bell’s Corners in 1966 with the opening of the new Town Hall in November of that year. It was at this location, 3825 Richmond Road, that the bell was placed on the three leg tripod. The bell was adopted as the corporate symbol of the City of Nepean in 1978 and re-located to Ben Franklin Place in 1988.

Ben Franklin Place was built to house the former City of Nepean’s Town Hall and named for past Mayor of Nepean, Ben Franklin, who was the first person to be given an honorary key to the new City of Ottawa.

Ben Franklin Place, 101 Centrepointe Drive

Jack Aaron developed the land once belonging to the Craig Henry Farm. It was a radical departure from previous uniform tract housing.